Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Orangutan paints in free time


Nonja is an orangutan residing at Schoenbrunn Zoo in Vienna. She treads in the footsteps of chimp Conga, a succesful artist who sold paintings at a London auction for £14,400.

Congo, who was born in 1954, produced some 400 drawings and paintings between the ages of two and four.

The previous post in this blog mentioned that Neanderthals have hands as nimble as humans. Well the picture above shows that orangutans have hands nimble enough to handle a paintbrush! We humans aren't so special after all...(or are you an orangutan reading this?)

See also:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you send me a copy of the panting? I wold love it if you cold because i love orangutans. There my biggset animal in my life. The first time I looked at one they were so so so cute.